Sign in to follow this  
DMg Halt

Reasons I'll not participate in tournament

Btw let me just be clear, I'm not AGAINST HAVING a tournament. There's just a few things I would expect in a tournament...

1. Franks war 1v1 is just plain zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz, no fun at all.

I would recommend a best of 5, random civs. But AT THE VERY LEAST, a best of 3, where the first match is random civ, and the 2nd match the civs are swapped. If it ends up 1 win for each, then a mirrored tie breaker match.

2. The fact that the tournament is being hosted on voobly as a requirement. I really like my 4k resolution, ability to use attack move and standardized 300 population on steam. (You are missing out if your computer doesn't support 4k res)¬† These features have become a huge part in how I play.ūüôā

3. Standard victory, instead of conquest. This would obviously come along with randomizing the civs B/O 3 or 5. 

Example: If you're unfortunate enough to get vikings against koreans, or you get matched up against someone that is way higher ELO than you, you'll at least have the option of building a wonder or collecting all 5 relics and holding them for X amount of years. 

Note: I'm willing to listen to any reasonable arguments AGAINST the above propositions.

Posted (edited)

you are fucking useless anyway, nobody cares. not even 1800 on HD ... no chance. RANDOM CIVS for a tournament???? LOL.

Edited by stormer

Ahhh, the typical " You suck, so your opinion doesn't matter" routine lolol...

It really is a shame that we can't access the HD leaderboards anymore and view a players ELO history. Because if this were the case, you would notice that I topped out at around 2.3-2.4k ELO on HD. But I digress...

I'll acknowledge that ones ELO skill level on HD does not necessarily translate one-to-one over to voobly, but I think that there is a fair argument for random civs. 

Game 1 - Random civs

Game 2 - Switch civs

Game 3 - Tie breaker if necessary.

Yeah well the next tournament will be hosted on voobly as well and it will be WK, meaning expansions will be used. Attack move is not a necessity and you can use your 4k resolution on voobly. Patrol is sufficient as you don't need to patrol siege onagers or bombard cannons. 

HD tournaments could be hosted, but the problem with HD is that it is mostly players who aren't competetive. Future tournaments we host on Voobly could use 300 pop as well.

I'm not a Franks War player myself, yet I will play Franks War because of its popular amongst those that are active. If a tournament was hosted that only attracted a niche base and lets say you only had 5-10 people apply for the tournament, then that wouldn't be fun or feasible, so it's easy to see why others might dismiss your suggestion.

As it is, we're already running on a bear bones player base. We should be grateful to Chino for putting something like this together in the first place. I'm not saying that you are under appreciating what he does, I don't know you. But sometimes people forget the time and effort that goes into these things. It's easier to point the finger and say 'it could be better', yet many don't then proactively host something alternate on their preferred client.

I hear what you're saying, though; a little variety can be enjoyable. The trick is balancing players preferences against those that are both active and competitive. Competitive play was born on MSN Gaming Zone and later transferred to Voobly. This happened long before HD arrived on the scene, so it will likely remain the preferred choice.

I think a 1 v 1 / 2 v 2 Tournament could work. Call it something awesome and allow players to enter both brackets so they have 2x chance of winning + also you have the 1 v 1 element and the team game element so everyone gets to experience much more of deathmatch. Could do a mix of civ match ups e.g 1 mirror, 1 random, 1 pick with restarts allowed.